Saturday, July 18, 2009

It's the Big One!

Yes, I'm officially "old"; 65 years old today, that is. The U.S. government has taken over responsibility for my health care, the Good Witch tells me that every single hair on my head is white, I have a grandson in Iraq, and my little grandchildren send me a "Happy Birthday" video on Facebook. I may be old, but life is good. If I had to enumerate all the reasons why I'm one very happy guy, Blogspot would run out of storage space!

Suffice it to say that I have a loving wife, family and friends. I have a nice place to sleep and good food on the table. I can work hard for others and myself, and I can play hard - on the Appalachian Trail and the golf course. My hurts don't slow me down too much, and I keep my brain very busy. I trust God to forgive all my many flaws, but I'm also intentional about emulating Christ when my better side is in control. If today was my last day, I'd say I was blessed.

My dad (a man worth a book of his own) had the misfortune of contracting rheumatic fever as a child, and he died of heart failure at 63. At this point in my life, I consider every year to be a bonus year, and I remember him fondly.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Let me be the first - happy birthday!

Be happy for the hairs you've got, my are depleting.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Your presence has enriched my life, and I'm happy to be sharing the planet with you!