Thursday, April 30, 2009

Back to the Trail, Again.

My hike two weeks ago was cut short by hot weather and the detritus of a huge ice storm. My friend and I worked hard but covered only a little more than half the distance planned. This afternoon I'm going back to Massachusetts and finish the other half (23 miles) in two days.

Tomorrow morning I begin by scaling the north face of Mt. Greylock, the highest mountain in that state. It's a serious mountain, with 2,800 feet of vertical gain in six miles. I'll start early in the morning when it's cool. When that's done the pain will be largely over, except for a 1,200 foot climb at mid-day on the second day. Hopefully, I won't run into any more ice storm chaos.

It's so good to be healthy and fit at my age (sixty-five this year)! Right now several of my friends and neighbors in the same general age group are fighting serious medical issues. Also, it's great to have the time and resources to act on goals I set for myself. In my case, fate has rolled the dice to my advantage. I'm truly thankful.

No comments: