Friday, January 02, 2009

Hunkering Down

The stock market may be making some positive noises right now, but 2009 looks like a year of hunkering down. Those who have a secure job should be praying their thanks every morning and night. Many are suffering, and it's going to be awhile before smiles are the norm for most people.

One of my sons, a very competent guy, is going to be out of a job soon. That's the price of working in Michigan these days. Fortunately for him, he's marketable. For most in his locale, the outlook is grim.

Some people still have cash. Contributions to my volunteer ambulance corps in a wealthy suburb have far exceeded my expectations. Lots of wealthy people are also good people, contrary to some popular wisdom.

I'm doing some paring of non-essentials for 2009, since my IRA is still down over 20% from last year. And yes, I say thank-you morning and night for the privilege of not having to worry.

I took a whirlwind trip this week to North Carolina where I and my four younger siblings spent time together as a group with my 87 year old mother. First time in many years for a group love fest! Mom is perky, very healthy, and painting up a storm. Everyone should hope for such a wonderful autumn of life.

Since I do financial work for a bunch of non-profits, December and January are months from hell. Pardon my stress! Got to get some exercise during the short interludes of not being crazy!

Did two ambulance calls this afternoon...unhealthy people get old fast, and younger people can lose their health for purely psychological reasons. Lots of people could get a good education in life by spending a few hundred hours on an ambulance crew.

Life is short at best. Eternity is a long, long time. I'm betting on God. If I'm smart enough to comprehend the creator, perhaps the creator is kind enough to let me have a bit more information about what this was all about. You've got to admit the universe and everything in it is pretty amazing.

All the best to you and everyone! Let's hope that Rodney King's plea gets a bit more action in 2009.

No comments: