Friday, September 04, 2009

A Death in the Family

The family cat got cancer and slowly faded away. The family took heroic measures to prolong the cat's life while shielding it from too much pain. But the end was sure to come, and one day it was time to let the cat go, peacefully.

The vet and her helper came to the house. Mom and dad and the two young children sat down together with the dear old cat. I imagine they talked of life, and love, and the end of life. Then, the cat was eased out of the life that no longer held interest for her...and the cat was no longer the cat, anymore.

It was a sad day in some respects, but a day to learn about realities that even a child can understand at some level and later come to understand more deeply.

My child and his wife are much smarter about some things than I am.

2 comments:

thimscool said...

I am sorry to hear it. I went through the same thing a few years back, except no kids to witness.

Why do you say that about your child being smarter than you? You didn't shield him from the death of a pet when he was young, did you?

Dave said...

I'm sorry for your loss.